Friday 9 October 2009

ASCIImator DS - development has officially started.......NOW!

Just to let you guys know that I'm working on ASCIImator DS. I'm no expert when it comes to programming, but I'm better at c++ than any other language and thanks to the wonderful PAlib it should be made a bit easier for me. I can't guarantee a release date, but let's say new year.....

I plan to make a very simple engine that will allow anyone to make ASCIImator 3.0 compatable ASCIImations on the go. You will be able to use a limited number of symbols (due to the font limitations) on a 32x24 array of charactes and make ASCIImations up to an unlimited (although this may change) number of frames long. When you're done you will be able to save it as a .txt file and import it to ASCIImator 3.0. The font may not be courier new because it doesn't look very good when minimized to size 8. You can expect a few other little gimmicks to make it half decent, like music and a spash screen etc. I'll relese a demo when I've done a bit. The hardest part will probably be the saving and import/export, but I'll leave that till last...

3 comments:

  1. Neon-J:

    So, is this for DS/Lite/DSi?
    I'd prefer it if it was for DSi, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's for all of them. You need a flash card to play the rom, and if you don't have one of them you can use an emulator. Nintendo is able to update the DSi firmwire, which means they can block DSi flash cards when they feel like it, but as long as you have a flash card that works it should be alright on any DS.
    Since there's no piracy or anything involved, it will be completely legal. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this means I can't use it, great. -.-

    I was hoping to download it as a DSi channel or something.

    ReplyDelete