Tuesday 22 December 2009

ASCIImator DS - Max frames? (again) - this is IMPORTANT!

Alright. I was having problems with the save slots because they took up too much RAM and caused the program to stop working (what do you expect with three 1000x24x32 arrays!?). So, I decided that instead of using save slots, I'm going to allow you to save and load each ASCIImation as a different .sav file. This is useful because it means that:
  • It uses up far less memory in the program.
  • You can save as many ASCIImations as you like!
  • You can give names to your ASCIImations.
  • It will be easier to add an export feature.
So, there is one problem: each .sav file is a whopping 700 kb! Are you happy with this, or do you want me to halve the maximum number of frames (which is currently 1000)? This is important guys, it will take up quite a bit of space on your SD cards if you are a devoted ASCIImator. Please comment!

3 comments:

  1. I personally think a limit of 500 is sensible. Considering this is essentially a mobile platform, you aren't really going to make huge 'mations, so this is a good idea. For ASCIImator iPhone, I intend to make it more 'true to the original' by allowing a variable number of frames. The DS has a much less intuitive control scheme, and I can see that this would be hard to implement.

    (this is OG btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thanks! This will be a plus because it saves space. Every ASCIImation was 750 KB, which is a lot of space if you were to make a large number of ASCIImations. I'm very nearly done, you might be using ASCIImator DS in the next half-hour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...or not, it is nearly midnight in case you hadn't noticed. I'm lying in bed, pretending to be asleep. iPod + wifi = how I'm talking to you.

    ReplyDelete